Can I bathe a guinea pig?
Yes, you can bathe a guinea pig. However it is not something to do often, only when necessary (about twice a year). Guinea pigs generally keep themselves pretty clean. Most guinea pigs don’t like water and might get frightened, so handle them slow and gently, but firm enough so they don’t jump and potentially injure themselves.
If your guinea pig is not that dirty, you can simply wipe them clean with a warm, wet washcloth.
What do you need to bathe a guinea pig?
- Shampoo for guinea pigs
- Hairdryer (optional)
It is important to get everything you need before you start, because you never want to leave your guinea pig unattended in the water to run and get something you forgot.
How to bathe your guinea pig. (step by step)
- Before you begin it is best to place a washcloth at the bottom of the sink, bath or bucket you will be using to bathe your guinea pig in, so they won’t slip.
- Pour a little lukewarm water in the sink, just to cover about half your guinea pig’s body. You don’t want the water to go over their head or face.
- Gently place your guinea pig into the water.
- Wet your guinea pig’s body by gently pouring water over its back with your hand.
- Work a little bit of shampoo into your guinea pig’s fur (follow the instructions on the shampoo bottle). Make sure not to get any shampoo or water in the guinea pig’s eyes and ears.
- Rinse your guinea pig. Make sure you rinse thoroughly to get all the shampoo out.
- Wrap your guinea pig in a towel (a little shivering is normal). Gently towel dry your guinea pig.
- Brush their fur to avoid tangles.
What kind of soap do you use to wash a guinea pig?
A guinea pig’s skin can easily dry out and get irritated, so don’t use any harsh cleaning agent, dish soap or human shampoo. Use a fragrance-free shampoo specifically for guinea pig’s.
Can I use a hairdryer to dry my guinea pig?
You can use a hairdryer to dry your guinea pig, as long as you use a low setting (not to freak them out), move the hairdryer around so your guinea pig won’t overheat and don’t blow into their ears.
It’s really not necessary to use a hairdryer on a warm day and definitely don’t use one if your guinea pig gets totally freaked out by it.
How often should you brush your guinea pig?
Short haired guinea pigs can be brushed once a week to minimize shedding. Long haired guinea pigs should be brushed more often to avoid tangle’s. It is best to brush your long haired guinea pig every day with a soft bristled brush. If your guinea pig has any knots in their fur, rather cut it out than tugging on it, as it may be painful.
Most guinea pigs like getting brushed and enjoy the attention they are getting.